Friday, June 4, 2010

Ruffle Bum Diaper Cover Make N Take

This cutie is a PERFECT accessory to hide the ugly/boring diaper during photo shoots! This one isn’t very hard to make and took me about an hour or so. If you don’t want to make your own ruffles like I did you can use only pre-gathered eyelet lace or frilly lace… use your imagination :) I will share more ideas for covers this week since I am having so much fun with them. I hope this sparks your creativity! Enjoy!

Supplies:
• Old pair of baby bottoms (These usually come with baby dresses… I got mine at a thrift store for $1 per pair)
• Pre-gathered eyelet lace (Mine was about 1 and 1/4 wide)
• Fabric

1. First you will need to measure across the back of your bottoms.
Mine measured 12 inches. REMEMBER THIS NUMBER you will use it a few more times.  Next I DOUBLED that measurement for my ruffles so I cut 24 inch strips of fabric in 3 inch wide sections. I used three of these for my bottoms.
Cut your pre-gathered eyelet lace to match your measurement plus an inch or so to turn under for a clean finish. I cut mine 13 inches and used three of these.

2. With WRONG sides facing fold your fabric in half and sew a gathering stitch along the entire strip. Repeat with your other strips.

3. Pull your string to gather and make a ruffle. Gather to match your bottom measurement plus an inch for turning under to make a clean finish.

4. Pin your ruffle straight across the back of your bottoms.  I found it was easiest to start at the bottom and work your way up. Sew it down. Don'f forget to tuck the ends under for a clean finish.


5. Pin and sew your eyelet above your ruffle. I sewed mine onto the top of my ruffle but you can play around and see what works best for you… it all depends on how wide your eyelet is. Again turn your ends under for a clean finsh :)

6. Repeat alternating ruffle strips and eyelet ending with eyelet for a clean finish.

So dang cute! I tried to get a shot of him crawling in it but he was too fast.  Just so you know it does look extremely cute on a crawling baby!
Have fun!
For more ideas check out THIS post and THIS post.

UndertheTableandDreaming
The Girl Creative

10 comments:

Jenni said...

I always wonder what to do with those little bottoms that come with the dresses, now I know! This looks so fun and pretty simple, I might even be able to do it! Thank you for sharing!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

WOW! This turned out seriously amazing. I wonder how my son would look in one?! Just kidding. But totally cute!!

~Alison
http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

Sew Much Ado said...

Oh so cute! Good thing I don't have any daughters, or I'd be busy making one of those :). Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

This is so precious! You did a fabulous job and I just daore the fabrics you used. Super cute! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase party! I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are having a fabulous week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Megpin said...

So cute! If only I had a girl so a ruffly diaper cover would be ok :( But I love my boy!!

Meghan Rickard said...

Oh my goodness these are beyond adorable!!!

Heather said...

Oh I cannot wait to get started. I was looking for the perfect tutorial to make ruffled diaper covers to go with all those little dresses I've been making my little girl. I think I will make her a birthday diaper cover for her 1st birthday pictures. Thank you so much for sharing.

Country Mouse said...

These came out great! Going to have to try this one!!!! thanks for sharing!
audrey

Anonymous said...

wow. so simple. And i love how u used "simple" wording. No technical stuff. Thanks. I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

We have a newly adopted 12 year old daughter whom we just baptized last month as an infant at our parish thru the infant baptism program.We dressed her in the traditional white below the knees gown with a matching bonnet,lace anklets and white mary jane shoes.Her diaper was cloth and pinned on with diaper pins and i sewed 6 rows of ruffled white lace across the back of her rubberpants and they looked very cute and very babyish under her gown.she had a white tee shirt as her top and we tucked it in to the rubberpants.she is going to wear her diaper and rhumba rubberpants for easter also.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :) I love seeing your thoughts!